Best part about being a type 1 diabetic



Best part about being chronically ill:

How I choose to see my inabilities.

Never before that day 8 years ago, did the thought occur to me that one day I would wake up, and one of my biggest nightmares will be evolving in front of my eyes: the nightmare which became an inevitable part of me.

The reality that, from that day onward, my life would be different. And how different it is.

From that day, the fight for survival is actually a fight and the certainty of life tomorrow is in fact, uncertain.

There are countless bad and terrible things that make having type 1 diabetes such a burden and punishment to live. Partly maintaining your homeostasis is not a piece of cake. Ha ha.
Yes, the insulin shots do hurt sometimes. The deep bruises are from thousands of needles and the hard fingertips are from countless pokes.

Yes, when you get a cold, I get pneumonia. Being sick for weeks on end when the world is supposed to carry on for you too, is harder than imagined. It is hard not having a good immune system. Catching a stomach bug or getting a deep cut on your hand that takes months to heal is no fun.
Yes, the highs at night that prevent you from getting a good nights sleep and the highs during the day which limits your sight. Or the accidental overdose that wants to trick you into a deep sleep, but you know if you close your eyes, you won’t open them again.
Yes, type 1 diabetes is awful because of the scar tissue that makes me look four months pregnant, despite having abs hidden beneath. Sport teams do not want you on their teams for the very reason of having unreliable health.

Yes, life is very fragile at times and the uncertainties drives me insane. Depression and anxiety often limits me from living, and tricks me into thinking life's just about surviving.

These and so many more are true. 
But, through the years, I came to the realization that type 1 diabetes is not just bad. I no longer see my inabilities as punishments, rather as opportunities to continue conquering life. There are pretty amazing things that can come from your worst nightmare. Cliché, but for a reason.
The courage, wisdom, strength and ability to endure life that comes with being chronically ill, are rare skills that very few people ever acquire in their lifetime. The ability to withstand irrelevant nuisance and to prioritize important matters gives us those superpowers everyone dreams of. The unique perspectives and views we have that allow us to see situations in a light; we know what matters most and which situations will soon pass. Being able to cope with unimaginable pain and discomfort allow us to endure just about anything. The knowledge to make life or death decisions numerous times every single day, equip us with that important sense and understanding about the value of life. The level of matureness that diabetes forced me to adopt, without a doubt, equipped me for the unexpected rides life throws at you.
Of course I wish myself healthy. No kidding! I won't even wish a chronic illness upon my worst enemy. I miss the carefree days so much. I miss eating without injecting and feeling worried or going to bed without the fear of falling into a coma. True. Walk in my shoes (or borrow my pancreas for a day) and you would wish to be "normal" too. I have lost a lot. But I have gained more

I am grateful for type 1 diabetes. Very grateful.
I am not my diagnosis.
I am not ruled by my inability to be healthy.
I am not a victim of my circumstances.
I am blessed with power from Above.
I am a warrior.
I am a strong woman.
I am filled with courage to fight battles.
I am greater than my highs and lows.
I am a fighter and I will keep fighting until we have a cure.

Trust me, I'm not always this positive. I don't go about life giving hugs and cheering people up. In the contrary, I am a realist; I see things how they are.
This I can tell you: it does not really get easier.
But you get stronger and more experienced to deal with whatever life gives you.


Keep your head high, wipe away your tears and keep fighting.

With love, as always,

Ané Grace
xxx


My mom, Lea and I right after being in discharged
from ICU where I spend 6 days, not remembering
any of it. (Still have no idea what happened then)

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK! DO YOU AGREE WITH MY BOLD STATEMENTS?
Let's connect.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's what you don't see

Chronically ill Christian