Bullying and teasing


Everyone wants to be normal.

But what is normal? Normal people are healthy, happy and has hope. Type 1 diabetics? Not normal at all.

As soon as people notice that you are different, bullying and teasing becomes a big reality.
I spent 8 nights in hospital after my diagnosis. I only went back to school after a month. I was physically and emotionally tired. I was really happy to be back in my old environment. To see all my friends, to be part of something again and to show my injections off (so typical of a child).

My mathematics teacher was the only rude one to me after I returned to school. I remembered how I greeted her and told her that I am back. I went to my chair, and in front of the whole class, she said that she waited for my death certificate. Everyone had a slight laugh and then looked at me. Even now, I feel like shedding a tear about that day. I felt so useless and idiotic. When looking back on those few months, those few words from my math teacher, caused the most emotional stress and anxiety. Interesting how a single person, can scar you for life. I only told my parents that when I left school. I know that my dad would've literally made her lose her job if I told him sooner.

I was also left out of our schools top 10 swimming and diving teams for 3 years. It's probably closer to discrimination, but I was left behind feeling betrayed by my team and coaches. I was told that they can't risk taking me because I'm "sick"...

I've experienced discrimination against me in too many ways. I was not selected for our acapella group. Initially I was upset, because I thought that I was not up to standard. (A little back round, I sang in a well known children's choir, since I was 7 years old. I've traveled to a few European counties as part of the choir.) I went to speak to the acapella coach. He told me that he knows I will miss too many practices. It broke me.

Younger people, my age, was also rude from time to time. When I had to leave the class room to inject or to get sugar, I felt judged. Why was I allowed out of class, why was I allowed to eat in class etc. I remember how a girl in my class came up to me and told me that I just want attention. I'm not really sick. I want sympathy. I just want to get extra marks. Oh how that hurt...

I was not invited to my best friends sleep over, because they don't know if I will survive. I suppose since I was older when I was diagnosed, 14 years, my parents never phoned other parents giving them a 2 minute talk on what to do if something goes wrong. I didn't want to be different, so I just let it go. I got used to being the "outsider". I stayed at parties until about 22:00 when my dad fetched me. 

When my friends realized that I'm not contagious, I was invited for sleep overs and weekends away. I always took my own cooler box with my own milk, yogurt, cereal, fructose, Ice Tea, bread etc. Every single thing I might need. The same with camps, but I will go into detail later. I always had to carry this big cooler box with me. As children are, they always said that I eat more and need extra food or that I don't like other peoples food etc.

How mean are children?

I went to see a psychiatrist for help on how to handle being teased and judged. I will recommend that. Since I'm an introvert, I took everything to heart, without saying something back. I wanted to slap the rude people, but I just looked at them, and walked away, crying softly.

It's so important to realize the signs of bullying of a T1D. I would say that the following are signs of being bullied:

  • major change in behavior
  • really moody
  • quiet, in his or her room
  • avoiding eye contact 
  • intentionally skipping injections or finger pricks
  • becoming depressed
  • alone during breaks or at parties
  • new friends, often from different cultural backgrounds and older or younger
Being bullied will result in higher sugar readings, because it causes stress.

I messaged a good friend of mine, telling her how badly I want to be normal. She said that she doesn't want me to be normal, she likes me being special. It made my day.

Hope your children are out of the judgers grip, and that they are not the ones compensating, and bullying themselves...

X
#livewithT1D
#T1DGrace






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best part about being a type 1 diabetic

It's what you don't see

Chronically ill Christian